Governor John W. Brown portrait   Save
Governor John W. Brown portrait
Description: Portrait of John W. Brown (1913-1993). The original painting hangs in the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio. He served as lieutenant governor from 1953 to 1956. When Governor Lausche resigned as governor to assume his seat in the United States Senate, Brown was appointed governor of Ohio for eleven days, January 3-14, 1957. Brown succeeded in ending a strike at the Ohio Consolidated Telephone Company in Portsmouth, Ohio. He also commuted the sentences of four people from first degree murder to second degree murder, allowing them to qualify for parole. Interestingly, Brown also was the last governor to reside in the Governor's Mansion located on East Broad Street in Columbus. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AV105_1_40
Subjects: Ohio--Governors--Portraits; Ohio History--State and Local Government
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)