: On the left is a Wool bunting Stars and Stripes bearing 34 stars in rows of 7-7-6-7-7.
On the right is a gold silk guidon taken to battle by the 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery. A horizontal line divides flag. Above the live are two crossed cannons and below it is the text: "LADY FLINT". These flags were not cataloged.
The 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry was mustered on September 15, 1862. The regiment was later reorganized as the 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery on May 2, 1863. Companies from the regiment performed service in Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina before mustering out in Knoxville, Tennessee, on July 25, 1865.
Ohio battle flags were on display at the Ohio Statehouse until the 1960s, when the state formed a committee to oversee the efforts to restore the fragile flags. Some of the battle flags were on display on the Plaza Level of the Ohio Historical Society from 1970 until 1989. For conservation reasons, the flags have been in storage since 1989. In the 1960s, the collection was photographed and commercial artist Robert Needham painted illustrations of many Civil War flags. Photographs of the flags and the paintings are now part of the society's archival collections. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01806 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio, Civil War, 1861-1865; 1st Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery; Statehouse--Ohio; Textile--silk; Textile--wool; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)