: This cotton Connecticut state flag is a blue field bearing a white gold-trimmed scroll which reads "Qui Transtulit Sustinet" or "He who transplanted still sustains". Above is a Baroque shield displaying three grape vines, each bearing three bunches and four leaves. The shield was associated with the Saybrook Colony which Connecticut purchased in 1644. (Across the Long Island Bay from Eastern Long Island, New York) The current design was made official in 1897. The dimensions of the flag are 125 by 185 cm.
Maker's mark indicates it was manufactured by The Valley Forge Flag Factory located at the corner of Yost Avenue and Main Street in Spring City, Pennsylvania. Artifact acquired between 1950 and 1970. View on Ohio Memory.
: H65506_001 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Textile--cotton; State Flags --Connecticut; Colonial America; Places
: Connecticut, United States