: This flag hung at the Campus Martius Museum in honor of five employees serving in the Second World War: William R. Willison, Samuel P. Tobias, Robert L. Cole, Lewis B. Anderson, and Norman G. Wolfe.
The In Service Flag (Blue Star Banner) was patented by an Ohioan, Colonel Robert L. Queisser of East Cleveland, Ohio, on 6 November 1917. Intended for display by families who have members serving in the Armed Forces, blue star banners are displayed in shop windows to honor the members of that organization who were serving. Most flags were homemade by mothers, though they later became mass-produced. Upon death in service the blue star was replaced by a gold one. One of the most famous flags was that of the five Sullivan brothers who all perished on the U.S.S. Juneau.
Card with flag reads "United States Army 2d World War/William R. Willison/Samuel P. Tobias/Robert L. Cole/ Lewis B. Anderson/Norman G. Wolfe/Employees at Campus Martius"
View on Ohio Memory.
: H18133_001 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio; World War, 1939-1945; Campus Martius Museum; Blue Star Banner; Places
: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)