: Mary Behnke of Columbus, Ohio, donated this service flag (dates from 1917-1918) in
1979. It measures 23 by 29 cm and is made of silk. It has a blue star showing that the service man is still in the service of his country.
The In Service Flag (Blue Star Banner) was patented by an Ohioan, Colonel Robert L. Queisser of East Cleveland, Ohio, on 6 November 1917. Intended for display by families who have members serving in the Armed Forces, blue star banners are also displayed in shop windows to honor the members of that organization who were serving. Most flags were homemade by mothers, though they later became mass-produced. Upon death in service the blue star was replaced by a gold one. One of the most famous flags was that of the five Sullivan brothers who all perished on the U.S.S. Juneau.
View on Ohio Memory.
: H21046_001 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio; World War, 1914-1918; Blue Star Banner; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)