: Photograph of men lounging on the hillside of a reconstructed earthwork at Fort Ancient, Section VI, A-3. 1,000 feet of restoration on the earthworks was completed. Fort Ancient features 18,000 feet of earthen walls built 2,000 years ago by American Indians who used the shoulder blades of deer, split elk antler, clam shell hoes and digging sticks to dig the dirt. They then carried the soil in baskets holding 35 to 40 pounds. Portions of the walls were used in conjunction with the sun and moon to provide a calendar system for the peoples.
Section assignment in the photo corresponds with the Fort Ancient map at http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15005coll32&CISOPTR=272&CISOBOX=1&REC=4 View on Ohio Memory.
: 3076_89_23_june34_01 Subjects
: Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.); New Deal, 1933-1939; Fort Ancient State Memorial (Ohio); Mounds--Ohio Places
: Fort Ancient (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)