: Photograph of a patient receiving a massage at Columbus State Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1911-1915. The Columbus State Hospital has had several name changes: 1838-1856, the Ohio Lunatic Asylum; 1856-1873, the Central Ohio Lunatic Asylum; 1874-1876, the Central Ohio Hospital for the Insane; 1876-1894, the Columbus Hospital for the Insane; 1894-1976, the Columbus State Hospital; 1976-1985, the Central Ohio Psychiatric Hospital; 1985-, Twin Valley Psychiatric System, Columbus Campus.
The Ohio Lunatic Asylum opened in November 1838. The Ohio Lunatic Asylum replaced the Commercial Hospital and Lunatic Asylum at Cincinnati, established in 1821, as the state mental institution. Part of the hospital was destroyed by fire in November 1868. The new hospital, built on the "Kirkbride Plan," was under construction from 1870 to 1877. The structure represented the largest single public capital investment by the state of Ohio up to that time, with the exception of the Statehouse. In 1996, after years of neglect, the Administration Building was demolished. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02964 Subjects
: Columbus State Hospital (Ohio); Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio; Psychiatric hospital patients--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)