: Three photographs show demolition of the home of successful lawyer, legislator, and businessman Alfred Kelley on Broad Street in Columbus in September 1961. Building materials were salvaged from the mansion and preserved. The photographs measure approximately 5 by 7 inches (12.7 by 17.78 cm). Alfred Kelley (1789-1859) was admitted to the bar in 1810, becoming Cleveland's first lawyer. He was elected to the state legislature in 1814 and became the leader of the Whig Party in Ohio. He was influential in the establishment of Ohio's laws. Kelley served as canal commissioner from 1825 to 1834 and was also president of several railroad companies. Kelley moved his family to Columbus and acquired an 18-acre tract of land on Broad Street between Fifth Street and Grant Avenue just north of downtown in 1831 for $917. Dubbed "Kelley's Folly" because of its marshy land, it appeared to be poor site to build a grand residence. He persevered and built a Greek Revival-style mansion, completed in 1838. The mansion was constructed of Ohio sandstone with porticoes and Ionic columns on all sides. It served as the governor's mansion under James Campbell between 1890 and 1892. In 1907 the house passed into the hands of the St. Joseph Cathedral School and was extensively remodeled. It was abandoned by 1958 and dismantled in 1961. Stones from the mansion were numbered and removed to Wolfe Park on Broad Street and then again to the Ohio Expositions Center in 1966. Although plans called for incorporating the stones into the new Ohio Historical Center in the late 1960s, they are now in the custody of the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, Ohio. The Christopher Inn, a circular 1963 structure, was built on the site; it was demolished to make room for a parking lot in 1988. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1902_1984386_004 Subjects
: Architecture; Houses; Columns; Cranes, derricks, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)