Euclid Avenue theaters photograph   Save
Euclid Avenue theaters photograph
Description: Night view of theaters on Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, ca. 1940. In this photograph, the Allen, State, and Palace Theaters, three of the original theaters still in existence that make up Playhouse Square Center, can all be seen. All three playhouses were opened in the early 1920s, closed in the 1960s, and reopened in the 1980s and 1990s. Playhouse Square Center is the second-largest theater complex in the U.S. behind New York's Lincoln Center. This photograph was to be included in the Cleveland Guide, one of several guides on selected American cities to be published by the Federal Writers Project. The Federal Writers Program was a depression-era program created to employ writers. Most of the work for the Cleveland Guide was complete when the program was abolished in 1943, but the Cleveland Guide was never published. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL03288
Subjects: Federal Writers' Project--1930-1950; Theaters--Ohio--Cleveland--History--20th century; Euclid Avenue (Cleveland, Ohio); Great Depression and the New Deal; United States. Works Progress Administration; Playhouse Square Center
Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)