: Photographic postcard of employees Louis Kline, Charles Hillis, and William Youel of The F. & R. Lazarus Company with the first foot-powered pin ticket machine in Columbus, spring 1904. Between 1851 and 1965, the F & R Lazarus Company retail store dominated the trade and physical landscape of Columbus. The company rose from its early years as a men's clothier in a 20 x 40 foot room downtown, to its position by 1965 as a member of the largest department store chain, Federated Department Stores. Lazarus' growth reflects that of the capital city; from small beginnings through a "golden age" of downtown development, and eventually branching out into the surrounding countryside. In 2003, the Lazarus Company was incorporated with Macy's, a member of the Federated Department stores, and is no longer in existence. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04453 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio); Lazarus Department Store; Employees; Ohio Economy--Science and Technology Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)