: This photograph shows the cast house (the heavy enclosed steel-framed building on the left) attached to the blast furnace at the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company's Campbell Works, East Youngstown (Campbell), Ohio, ca. 1910-1919. Here the slag and the molten pig iron were separated and diverted to iron ladles and slag pots for transport to other areas of the plant. The floors around the blast furnace were made of hard-burned paving. Around the iron runners where the liquid metal flowed, one-inch iron floor plates lined the trench. Stored in the cast house were bins of clay, coke, loam, and sand. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05603 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Steel industry and trade--Ohio--Youngstown--History; Blast furnaces--Ohio; Factories Places
: East Youngstown (Ohio); Campbell (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)