: Oil on canvas landscape painting by Charles Sullivan (1794-1867) depicting the Marietta Earthworks, Campus Martius and a log cabin. The painting shows rolling hills and the Ohio River in the distance. In front of the river is a large group of earthworks. In front of that, a small log cabin is visible. The original painting is 55.88 cm x 76.2 cm, and is housed in a gilt frame.
Charles Sullivan was born in Frankfort, Pennsylvania. His family moved to Wheeling, Virginia, (now West Virginia) and then to Marietta, Ohio, in 1833. He studied art in Philadelphia and was a friend and student of the painter Thomas Sully. Although Sullivan painted portraits throughout his artistic career, landscapes were his specialty. Sullivan's landscape style has been associated with the Hudson River School of painting. Both in Wheeling and in Marietta, he produced numerous paintings of the river area of southeastern Ohio and what is now western West Virginia. His historical views of Marietta and the mound earthworks located there, however, are some of his most important pieces. These paintings document early Ohio settlement, some colored by stories told to him by early Washington County settlers, and some painted as he saw them in an era before photography was commonplace. Sullivan made Marietta his home until his death at the age of seventy-three.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04149 Subjects
: Artists--Ohio; Cultural Ohio--Art and Artists; Paintings; Campus Martius (Marietta, Ohio); Earthworks (Art)--United States Places
: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)