: Illustration of "Johnson's Island, Sandusky Bay, Depot of Confederate Prisoners," from Henry Howe's "Historical Collection of Ohio," 1909.
Johnson's Island, leased for $500 per year from Leonard B. Johnson during the Civil War, was the site of a prisoner of war camp for Confederate officers along the Lake Erie coast of Ohio. While it was the only Union prison camp exclusively for officers, there were regular soldiers there as well.
During the war, approximately 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers were processed through the camp. It was guarded by the 128th Ohio Voluntary Infantry. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04257 Subjects
: Civil War--Prisoners and prisons; Ohio History--Military Ohio; Johnson's Island Prison Camp Places
: Johnson's Island (Ohio); Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)