Ohio State Office Building explosion   Save
Ohio State Office Building explosion
Description: Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building took place on November 19, 1929. The building, located at 65 South Front Street in downtown Columbus, took the site of 34 businesses. The building, designed by architects Harry Hake, Frank Bail and Alfred Hahn, is noted as an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. Construction began on October 31, 1930 and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. The explosion occurred shortly after three o'clock on the afternoon of April 14, 1932. The building eventually opened on March 27, 1933. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL05533
Subjects: Public buildings--Ohio; Ohio History--State and Local Government
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)