State Office Building photograph   Save
State Office Building photograph
Description: This photograph shows the Grand Concourse of the State Office Building (now the Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center), Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. The view is looking to the south. The Grand Concourse serves as a "hall of fame"--a gallery featuring images of Ohio leaders in government and the judiciary. Bronze portraits of these influential Ohioans grace the concourse's gleaming marble walls. Construction of the building began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story, white marble structure, designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake is a classic example of the Art Moderne style. The interior of the building includes public spaces decorated with murals, mosaics and bas-reliefs that tell the history of Ohio and its industries. The building underwent a historic renovation that was completed in 2004, when it became the Ohio Judicial Center, permanent home of the Ohio Supreme Court. In 2011 the court renamed the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL05746
Subjects: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Ohio. Supreme Court; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus); Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Art Deco
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)