: This photograph shows the State Office Building and the Scioto River retaining wall, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. The view looks south from the Broad Street bridge. The photo also has a sweeping view of a cloud-swept sky.
Construction of the building began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story, white marble structure, designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake is a classic example of the Art Moderne style. The interior of the building includes public spaces decorated with murals, mosaics and bas-reliefs that tell the history of Ohio and its industries. The building underwent a historic renovation that was completed in 2004, when it became the Ohio Judicial Center, permanent home of the Ohio Supreme Court. In 2011 the court renamed the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05755 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Ohio. Supreme Court; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus); Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Art Deco Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)