: This image is a photographic postcard with a panoramic view of Camp William McKinley (formerly the State Encampment Ground), Newark, Ohio, taken ca. 1903. It was renamed in honor of President William McKinley, who was assassinated in 1901. The encampment was located on the Octagon Earthworks, a section of the Newark Earthworks. Built by the Hopewell culture between 250 AD and 500 AD, the earthworks were used as places of ceremony, social gathering, trade, and worship. From 1892 to 1908 the state of Ohio used the Octagon Earthworks as a militia encampment. In the upper left corner is the following caption: "P.A. 4505b. Camp Wm. McKinley, Newark, Ohio." Rows of white tents are visible in the distance. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05891 Subjects
: Ohio--Militia; Ohio History--Military Ohio; National Guard Places
: Newark (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)