: Pictured is an interior view of the Cleveland Arcade photographed on April 6, 1937. The Arcade was one of the first indoor shopping centers in the United States. Built in 1890, the Romanesque style building was financed by some of Cleveland’s most respected businessmen such as John D. Rockerfeller, Charles Bush, Louis Severance and Steven V. Harkness, among others. Gold emblem images of Harkness and Bush can be seen on the Arcade’s exterior. The building was designed by John M. Eisenmann and George H. Smith who modeled it after the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan, Italy. It features five indoor balconies and two ten-story towers that were used for offices. The arcade underwent a $60 million renovation that was completed in May of 2001. Currently, the two towers and top three levels of the Arcade’s atrium are occupied by the Hyatt Regency Cleveland hotel. The rest of the Arcade is occupied by shops and restaurants. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06013 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Architecture--Ohio; Romanesque Revival; Stores & shops; Cleveland (Ohio) Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)