: The Taft Museum of Art, Cincinnati, Ohio. Formerly the Baum-Longworth-Sinton-Taft House, this National Historic Landmark was built about 1820 for Martin Baum. It is the oldest domestic wooden structure in situ locally and is considered one of the finest examples of Federal architecture in the Palladian style in the country.
Another resident of this important villa was Rep. Nicholas Longworth (Ohio), who extensively redecorated the interiors and hired African American painter Robert S. Duncanson to paint landscape murals in the foyer, now considered as one of the finest suites of domestic murals dating from before the Civil War. After Longworth’s residency, David Sinton, father of the museum's co-founder Anna Sinton Taft. Anna Taft lived in the mansion with her husband Charles Phelps Taft from 1873 until their respective deaths in 1931 and 1929. In 1908, Charles Phelps Taft’s half-brother, William Howard Taft, accepted the nomination for U.S. president underneath the house’s portico. The Tafts bequeathed their historic home and private collection of 690 works of art to the people of Cincinnati in 1927. After extensive remodeling and updating, the Baum-Longworth-Taft House opened as the Taft Museum of Art in 1932. The Taft Museum of Art reopened on May 15, 2004, following a major renovation and expansion, which included a parking garage, the Fifth Third Gallery for special exhibitions, Dater Education Room, Luther Hall performance/lecture facility, a larger museum shop, and a café.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06036 Subjects
: Taft Museum of Art; Art museums; Taft, Anna Sinton, d. 1931; Taft, Charles Phelps, 1843-1929; Longworth, Nicholas, 1869-1931; Cultural Ohio--Art and Artists Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)