: This photograph is an image of the Audubon House, a three-story stucco structure built for John James Audubon, ornithologist and painter. The house is located at 414 East Third Street, Cincinnati, Ohio. Audubon went to Cincinnati in 1819 to be a taxidermist for the Western Museum, but he completed his work in six months. He painted portraits and tutored art classes in an effort of support himself, but in October 1820 decided to move to New Orleans, taking his thirteen-year-old assistant, Joseph Mason, with him.
This image of Audubon House was among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06399 Subjects
: Audubon, John James, 1785-1851; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Architecture--Ohio--Cincinnati--Pictorial works; United States. Work Progress Administration Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)