: This image shows Fort Recovery, which stands on the spot where Fort St. Clair once stood.In December 1793, General Anthony Wayne ordered one United States artillery unit and eight infantry companies to the site of St. Clair's Defeat. The soldiers were to construct a fort on the former battlefield. Wayne intended to use this fort as a staging area for his assault against the region's American Indian tribes in the spring of 1794. He named the stockade Fort Recovery.
Following the Battle of Fallen Timbers in August 1794, most American Indians realized they had little chance in stopping white settlement of their lands. In August 1795, many of the area's tribes agreed to sign the Treaty of Greeneville. They gave up all claims to land south and east of a line that extended south from Lake Erie, along the Cuyahoga River, to the Tuscarawas River, and then to Fort Laurens. From Fort Laurens, the line ran west to Fort Loramie, then northwest to Fort Recovery, and then straight south to the Ohio River. Anthony Wayne had secured from the American Indians the majority of modern-day Ohio with the exception of the northwestern corner of the state.
The city of Fort Recovery, Ohio, stands today on the site of the frontier fort. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06521 Subjects
: American Indian history and society; Fort St. Clair (Ohio); American frontier Places
: Fort Recovery (Ohio); Mercer County (Ohio)