: This photo shows the construction site of the Ohio State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1930-1933. Construction is in its very early stages. The corner of a large hole appears in the center far right of the photograph, which suggests that excavation of the site has begun. Various pieces of equipment are scattered around the site. Parked vehicles are visible, as are human figures. The soil surface is uneven and rutted. The Town Street Bridge appears in the background. Vehicles are clustered near the east end of the bridge.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn. The building later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06911 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Bridges--Ohio; Construction industry--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)