: This photograph shows the future Ohio State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio, during its construction, ca. 1929-1933. A man wearing a business suit and hat is standing on two wooden planks supported by structural steel beams. With his left arm and hand, he holds a metal pulley that is suspended from a rope tied around a wooden beam. One end of the rope is quite frayed.
Construction of the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, began in 1930 and was completed in 1933.
The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn. It later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06927 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Construction industry--Ohio; Pulleys Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)