: This color photograph taken in 1993 shows the facade of St. Mary's Church, located in the German Village neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio. St. Mary's Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German Catholic population of Columbus' South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary's first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary's distinctive spire, which soars 197 feet, was added in 1893. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07011 Subjects
: Churches--Ohio; German Americans; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)