: This color image shows the storefront of Isaly's Deli and Ice Cream, 650 S. Third Street, and in the background, the spire of St. Mary's Catholic Church, located in the German Village neighborhood, Columbus, Ohio. St. Mary's Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German Catholic population of Columbus' South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary's first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary's distinctive spire, 197 feet high, was added in 1893. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07012 Subjects
: Church buildings--Ohio; German Americans; Business enterprises--Ohio--Columbus; Isaly's (Firm); Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)