: This photograph from the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus is of Harry Dingledine, a 55-year-old gang leader from Clark County. Dingledine, along with his son Henry Dingledine and Harry Chapman were convicted of murdering two Springfield, Ohio police officers. The three men were executed on the same night - Henry was the third of the three to die. The caption at the bottom reads: “No. 220, Harry Dingledine, of Clark County, Legally Electrocuted April 19th, 1939, for the Murder of Officers Martin Randolph and Edwin Furrey, at Springfield, Ohio.”
In 1885 the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, Ohio, became the location for all executions, which previously took place in the various county seats. In 1896 the Ohio General Assembly mandated that electrocution replace hanging as the form of capital punishment. The Ohio Penitentiary regularly offered tours as well as souvenir photographs and postcards of the building and prisoners on death row.
A total of 315 prisoners, both men and women, were executed in the electric chair known as “Old Sparky” between 1897 and 1963.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL08274 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government--Law; Capital punishment--Ohio--History; Death row; Electrocution; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Ohio Penitentiary (Columbus, Ohio); Prisons--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)