: Picture of the boat house at Olentangy Park. The boats used naphtha engines, a type of engine used to power small boats in the early 1900s. Olentangy Park was an amusement park that opened in 1893 by Robert M. Turner, originally called The Villa. It was bought in 1896 by the Columbus Street and Railroad Company, and then again by the Dusenbury brothers in 1899. The brothers constructed a theater, a merry-go-round, and other rides like Loop-the-Loop roller coaster. The property was sold again in 1926 to the Olentangy Amusement Company, then to Leo and Elmer Haenlein in 1929. At this point a zoo and a ballroom were added to the park. Olentangy Park closed in 1937 after being purchased by the L. L. Leveque Company. The Gooding Amusement Company bought the Ferris wheel, airplane ride, rifle range, and the carousel, which is now located at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. The park was located along the banks of the Olentangy River in Columbus, Ohio, on land which, as of 2014, was owned by the Olentangy Village Apartments. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL07725 Subjects
: Cultural Ohio--Popular Culture; Amusement parks; Olentangy River (Ohio); Boats Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)