Construction superintendent at Ohio Historical Society   Save
Construction superintendent at Ohio Historical Society
Description: Photograph of John E. Junkins, Superintendent for R.W. Sutterlin & Sons Construction Company, standing on the steps between the lower level and plaza level of the Ohio History Center in Columbus, Ohio. Originally the Ohio Historical Society housed its collections in the Ohio Statehouse. In 1894, the organization moved to Orton Hall at The Ohio State University, but as OSU and OHS both continued to grow, the organization began looking for a new location by the mid-1960s. Ground was broken at the Center's current location near the Ohio State Fairgrounds on August 22, 1966. Designed by architect William Byron Ireland (1930-1982) and his firm Ireland & Associates, the Brutalist-style building contains over 21,000 cubic feet of concrete. Brutalism is a mid-century style of architecture characterized by bold, massive, geometric shaps and rough-finished surfaces. R.W. Sutterlin & Sons, general contractors, completed construction of the building in 1970, and the Center was dedicated on Augus View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: P339_B11_F2_02_01
Subjects: Architecture; Ohio Historical Society; Museums; Archives; Libraries; Brutalism (Architecture); Construction industry--Ohio;
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)