: Photograph from the collection of Louis Baus showing the Soldiers' Aid Society of Northern Ohio, a branch of the U.S. Sanitary Commission, whose headquarters were at No. 95 Bank Street, Cleveland, Ohio. The Soldiers' Aid Society of Northern Ohio operated under the auspices of the U.S. Sanitary Commission, but originally grew out of the Ladies' Aid Society, organized in Cleveland in 1861. The LAS merged with other area charities to form the Soldiers' Aid Society, and worked to provide medical care, clothing, supplies and food to Union soldiers during the Civil War.
Louis Baus, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, was born in 1875. He began his career as a professional photographer doing studio work before becoming a staff photographer for the Cleveland Advocate in 1911. Baus worked for the paper, which was later purchased by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, for thirty-eight years until his death in 1949. He was also an avid collector of historic photographs. The Louis Baus Collection consists of View on Ohio Memory.
: P223_B01_A02_107 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Cities and towns--Ohio; United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865; Soldiers--Ohio; Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)