Ohio Statehouse photograph   Save
Ohio Statehouse photograph
Description: Photograph showing the Ohio Statehouse, ca. 1950-1960. The original Ohio Statehouse was erected between 1800 and 1803 in Chillicothe, Ohio. The first legislature met in this building from 1803 to 1810, when Zanesville became the state capitol. In 1812, the capitol was moved back to Chillicothe, where it remained until 1816. On February 14, 1812, an act was passed which established Columbus as the permanent capitol. Construction of the first Columbus capitol building began in 1814 and the first session of the Ohio General Assembly held in Columbus Ohio began in December 1816. Four Ohio citizens donated the ten-acre piece of land in downtown Columbus, now known as Capitol Square, where the present Ohio Statehouse is located. The cornerstone for the new Statehouse was laid on July 4, 1839 and construction was completed in 1861. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AV8_B01_F06_01
Subjects: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Ohio Statehouse (Columbus, Ohio);
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)