Ohio Conservation Laboratory program book   Save
Ohio Conservation Laboratory program book
Description: Program guide for the 12th session of Ohio Conservation Laboratory, Summer 1951, which was a place-based teacher-training summer workshop in conservation education, sponsored jointly by the Ohio State University and the Division of Wildlife of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Friends of the Land Executive Secretary Ollie E. Fink was involved in the establishment and promotion of the Ohio Conservation Lab, and the program became a model for conservation training in Friends of the Land speeches, essays and literature. From June 18th to July 25th, 1951, the Lab was held at Camp Muskingum in Carroll County, Ohio. The Friends of the Land Collection (1930-1960) contains the papers of the Friends of the Land (1940-1959), a prominent national soil conservation education organization headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. FOTL produced an international literary arts quarterly, THE LAND (edited by New Deal agriculture writer Russell Lord) in addition to several members' only publications (LAND LETTER) and informational pamphlets. They also hosted annual conferences; ran conservation tours, teacher training labs, and workshops; and operated as a national clearinghouse for conservation information. Ohio farmer and novelist Louis Bromfield was active in the organization. Much of the collection reflects the career and interests of FOTL Executive Secretary Ollie Fink, who was a prominent conservation education pioneer in Ohio. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: Page1
Subjects: Conservation education; Environmental education; Agriculture; Soil science; Societies and clubs;
Places: Camp Muskingum (Ohio); Carroll County (Ohio)