: This photograph shows an aerial view of the Ohio Women's Reformatory in Marysville, Ohio. In 1911, the Ohio General Assembly authorized the establishment of a separate women’s penal institution. On September 1, 1916, the Ohio Reformatory for Women opened in Marysville, Ohio, with a population of 34 inmates. When Marguerite Reilley was appointed superintendent of the Reformatory in 1935, she found dirty and unkempt inmates with excessively restricted living habits. She instituted the “human being” program which provided recreation, entertainment, jobs, and vocational training for the inmates. State Archives Series 2759 AV consists of three oversize black and white aerial photographs of the buildings and grounds of the Ohio Reformatory for Women. View on Ohio Memory.
: OVS3724 Subjects
: Marysville (Ohio); Aerial photographs; Ohio Reformatory for Women; Prisons; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections Places
: Marysville (Ohio); Union County (Ohio)