: Taken on April 26, 1930, this photograph shows an aerial view of the Ohio Women's Reformatory in Marysville, Ohio. In 1911, the Ohio General Assembly authorized the establishment of a separate women’s penal institution. On September 1, 1916, the Ohio Reformatory for Women opened in Marysville with a population of 34 inmates. When Marguerite Reilley was appointed superintendent of the Reformatory in 1935, she found dirty and unkempt inmates with excessively restricted living habits. She instituted the “human being” program which provided recreation, entertainment, jobs, and vocational training for the inmates. State Archives Series 6591 AV consists of 128 black and white aerial photographs of Ohio state properties, such as hospitals, universities and colleges, parks, lakes, and reservoirs, and prisons. The photographs were taken in the spring of 1930 by the 112th Photo Section of the 37th Division Air Services. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA6591AV_B01_001 Subjects
: Marysville (Ohio); Aerial photographs; Ohio Reformatory for Women; Prisons; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections Places
: Marysville (Ohio); Union County (Ohio)