: Dated ca. 1935-1965, this photograph shows an inmate baking bread at the Ohio Reformatory for Women. Food production was one of the vocational trades available to the inmates at the Reformatory. In 1911, the Ohio General Assembly authorized the establishment of a separate women’s penal institution. On September 1, 1916, the Ohio Reformatory for Women opened in Marysville, Ohio, with a population of 34 inmates. When Marguerite Reilley was appointed superintendent of the Reformatory in 1935, she found dirty and unkempt inmates with excessively restricted living habits. She instituted the “human being” program which provided recreation, entertainment, jobs, and vocational training for the inmates. State Archived Series 1679 AV consists of 234 photographs which illustrate daily life in the Ohio Reformatory for Women, as well as photographs of the buildings and grounds, superintendents Marguerite Reilley and Martha Wheeler, and notorious inmate Velma West. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1679AV_B01_F15_004 Subjects
: Ohio Reformatory for Women; Prisons; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Bakeries; Cooking Places
: Marysville (Ohio); Union County (Ohio)