Island Airlines Ford Tri-motor in flight   Save
Island Airlines Ford Tri-motor in flight
Description: This Ford Tri-motor flew for Island Airlines, the passenger service from Port Clinton to the Lake Erie Islands. Island Airlines got its first Ford Tri-motor in 1946, which flew twice-daily flights between Port Clinton Municipal Airport (now Erie-Ottawa International Airport) and Put-In Bay, Kelleys Island, and Middle Bass and North Bass Islands. The airline eventually operated four Tri-motors, each of which could transport 10 passengers. Island Airlines ceased operations in 1985. The Ohio History of Flight Museum, located at Port Columbus, was the creation of Foster Lane, founder of Lane Aviation in Columbus, Ohio. It opened to the public in 1984 and gained a reputation as one of the top aviation resource centers in the United States. In 1999, its collection (which includes this image) was donated to the Ohio History Center View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: MSS1704AV_B02F09_03
Subjects: Aviation--History; Lake Erie Islands (Ohio); Airplanes; Island Airlines; Transportation--Ohio--History;
Places: Port Clinton (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)