: The bronze statues depicted in this photograph represent Peace & Prosperity and Industry & Trade. They flank a large statue of William McKinley, the 25th president of the United States. The McKinley Memorial, which was designed by Hermon A. MacNeil and dedicated on September 14, 1906, the fifth anniversary of the president's death, is located on the west side of the Ohio Statehouse along High Street in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Several downtown businesses, including Lazarus, S. S. Kresge Co., Woolworth, and Mills Restaurant can be seen across the street from the memorial.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV254_B04F095_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Downtowns; Business enterprises--Ohio; Memorials -- Ohio; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)