Civilian Conservation Corps work at Fort Ancient   Save
Civilian Conservation Corps work at Fort Ancient
Description: Photograph of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) work on the ravine at Fort Ancient. Part of President Roosevelt's New Deal program, the CCC was formed to help preserve public land in the United States while also helping unemployed young men of the time. The program was in existence from 1933 until 1942. Fort Ancient Earthworks and Nature Preserve is located on the Little Miami River in Warren County, Ohio. The earthwork encloses 100 acres and is delineated by nearly 3.5 miles of earthen walls punctuated by 67 irregularly spaced gaps or gateways. Rather than an immense defensive location, current thinking maintains that it is actually a ceremonial precinct with astronomical alignments incorporated into its design. The site is subdivided into North and South Forts connected by a causeway-like Middle Fort. Fort Ancient was constructed in phases by the Hopewell culture between 100 B.C. and A.D. 400. Centuries later the South Fort was re-occupied by a different American Indian culture, themselves referred to as the Fort Ancient people. This inconsistency in names quickly became a source of confusion among students of Ohio archaeology and remains so to the present day. Fort Ancient was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. In 2008 it was included as one of seven Hopewell Ceremonial Earthwork sites in Ohio under consideration as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site also features hiking trails, a picnic area and a museum with interpretive exhibits about Ohio's ancient past. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AV17_B02F02_E4_010
Subjects: Fort Ancient (Ohio); Fort Ancient culture; Earthworks (Archaeology); Hopewell culture--Ohio; State parks & reserves; Mounds--Ohio--Warren County; Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.);
Places: Warren County (Ohio)