: Elizabeth J. Hauser, an Ohio suffragist, sent this telegram to Lucile Atcherson, executive secretary for the Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association, on October 24, 1914. In the telegram, Hauser informed Atcherson that the Northeastern Ohio Teachers Association officially endorsed suffrage. Hauser instructed Atcherson to include this information when making the claim that all organized women in the state of Ohio were in support of women's suffrage.
The Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association was formed in 1912, after the Ohio Constitutional Convention elected to bring to a vote the question of removing the words "white male" from the state constitution with regard to voting rights. Headquartered in the Chamber of Commerce building in Columbus, Ohio, the organization put out regular publications, organized public speeches and meetings, distributed literature and held parades in support of the suffrage movement. Women's suffrage in Ohio was defeated in a special election in 1912 and again in 1914 and 1916 before a resolution narrowly passed in 1917 allowing municipal voting by women in Columbus. In 1920, the 19th Amendment passed, extending the vote to women and prohibiting state and federal government from denying suffrage on the basis of sex. View on Ohio Memory.
: MSS1025_B01F04_03 Subjects
: Women--Suffrage; Social movements; Franklin County Woman Suffrage Association; Educators Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio);