: Photograph taken during the demolition of the Chittenden Hotel in downtown Columbus, Ohio. Visible next door is Landmark, Inc., at 245 North High Street. Henry Chittenden opened the doors of his hotel in 1889, at the corner of North High and Spring Streets. Closed in 1972, and demolished the following year, it is now the site of the William Green Building, one of the tallest skyscrapers in Columbus. Chittenden Avenue, which intersects High Street further north, is named for Henry Chittenden.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory.
: AV254_B07F171_01 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; Downtowns; Hotels; Demolition Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)