: Commemorative tablet of the last battle of the French and Indian War, located near the entrance to the old Johnston homestead in Piqua, Miami County, Ohio. Monument states "Erected 1989 by the Piqua Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in commemoration of the last battle of the French and Indian War fought near this spot in 1763." Handwritten caption on the back of a duplicate image reads "This stone is located near the entrance of the old Johnston homestead. It will be unveiled with appropriate ceremonies June 14th, 1899."
Johnston Farm, maintained as a state memorial, is the homestead of John Johnston. Johnston is best known for holding the office of Indian Agent for over 30 years, appointed by President James Madison in the early years of the state to oversee the American Indian reservations in northwest Ohio. Johnston was an important political and social figure in Ohio who also served as a state canal commissioner, helped to found Kenyon College and served on the bo View on Ohio Memory.
: AV29_B01F01_001 Subjects
: Monuments & memorials; United States--History--French and Indian War, 1755-1763; Battle of Piqua; Places
: Piqua (Ohio); Miami County (Ohio);