: This group of men and women who were alumni of the Ohio School for the Deaf had traveled to attend the World's Fair in Chicago during the summer of 1893. Originally known as the Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, the Ohio School for the Deaf was founded in 1829 in Columbus, Ohio. The school's Alumni Association was organized in 1870 and still supports the institution to this day.
Also called the World's Columbian Exhibition, the 1893 Chicago World's Fair celebrated the 400th anniversary of the discovery of the New World. It emphasized modern technological, commercial, and agricultural advances and highlighted art, education, and culture. Between May and October of 1893, more than 28 million visitors flocked to see the 65,000 exhibits located on 686 acres of Chicago's South Side. View on Ohio Memory.
: 362_4H629_WorldsFair1893 Subjects
: Deafness; Ohio School for the Deaf; Expositions and fairs; World's Columbian Exposition; Places
: Chicago (Illinois)