: This teacher's discount card for the F. & R. Lazarus department store was issued to Delphine (Della) Trout of Bremen, Ohio, around 1897. Between 1851 and 1965, the F & R Lazarus Company retail store dominated the trade and physical landscape of Columbus. The company rose from its early years as a men's clothier in a 20 x 40 foot room downtown, to its position by 1965 as a member of the largest department store chain, Federated Department Stores. Lazarus' growth reflects that of the capital city; from small beginnings through a "golden age" of downtown development, and eventually branching out into the surrounding countryside. In 2003, the Lazarus Company was incorporated with Macy's, a member of the Federated Department stores, and is no longer in existence. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3345_5987215_001 Subjects
: Education; Business enterprises--Ohio--Columbus; The F. & R. Lazarus Company (Columbus, Ohio); Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)