: This monument to the American Indians who were massacred at Gnadenhutten was erected in 1872. The inscription reads, "Here triumphed in death ninety Christian Indians March 8 1782." The photograph measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). Gnadenhutten, which means "huts of grace," was settled by Moravian missionaries and Mohican Indians in 1772. The Indians converted to Christianity, wore Western dress and lived in European-style villages. In September 1781, British troops tried to get the Indians to support them against the colonists in the Revolutionary War. When they refused, Indians at Gnadenhutten and nearby Schoenbrunn and Salem were rounded up and taken to present-day Sandusky County, Ohio. Conditions there were harsh, and in February a group of Indians were given permission to briefly return to Gnadenhutten to gather food. Once they arrived in Gnadenhutten, however, a force under Colonel Williamson accused them of stealing and raiding American settlements in Pennsylvania. After spending the night praying and singing, ninety Indians, including women and children, were killed on March 8, 1782 and Gnadenhutten was burned. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3151_3928602_001 Subjects
: Military Ohio; American Indians in Ohio; Monuments & memorials; Gnadenhutten Massacre Places
: Gnadenhutten (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)