: A silver cup engraved with "Ohio State Board of Agriculture Premium" was awarded at the Ohio State Fair in Cleveland in either 1852 or 1856. Premiums were awarded for the best agricultural products such as animals, agricultural implements, field crops, fruits, domestic goods and mechanic arts. The cup was produced by Ralph Cowles and Joseph Albertson, whose company was located at 49 Superior Avenue in Cleveland. It measures 3.14 by 3.14 by 4.52 inches (8 by 8 by 11.5 cm). The Ohio State Fair was an important opportunity for farmers to promote their crops and livestock and to learn about advances in agricultural machinery. The first state fair was held in Cincinnati in 1850. In the ten years that followed, Newark, Sandusky, and Zanesville hosted the fair . Cleveland hosted the fair in 1852 and 1856, before it settled permanently in Columbus. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om1383_1132022_001 Subjects
: Agriculture; Expositions and fairs; Awards Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)