: Three 8 x 10-inch (20.32 x 25.4 cm) photographs document waterfalls near Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills State Park in Hocking County. Old Man's Cave was named for Richard Rowe, a hermit who moved to the Ohio Valley in 1796 and lived in the cave. Early settlers named the site Cedar Falls, mistaking the hemlock trees that surround the falls for cedars. In 1924, the state of Ohio purchased 146 acres in the Hocking Hills that became Hocking Hills State Park in 1949. In 1972, the park added a dining lodge and cabins. Hocking Hills State Park is known for its geologic features of blackhand sandstone, including Old Man's Cave, Cedar Falls, and Rock House. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3087_3729222_001 Subjects
: Arts and Entertainment; Geography and Natural Resources; Waterfalls; Parks; Recreation; Streams Places
: South Logan (Ohio); Hocking County (Ohio)