: Three photographs depict part of the commemoration in honor of the 150th anniversary of the Treaty of Greenville in August 1945. The first photograph shows the commemoration headquarters, housed in a 100-year-old cabin that was reconstructed in the Greenville town square. Several Ohio Archaeological and Historical Society (now the Ohio Historical Society) board members can be seen in front of the cabin, from left to right: Harlow Lindley, secretary; A. C. Johnson, president; and Henry C. Shetrone, director. The Treaty of Greenville was displayed in the cabin August 1-3. Two soldiers can be seen guarding the treaty in the second image. Other events included a parade, an appreciation dinner for Howard Chandler Christy and the unveiling of the his painting "The Signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville." These photographs measure 5" by 7" (12.7 by 17.8 cm). The Treaty of Greenville is part of the collections of the National Archives. This event was the first time the document had been removed from the archives of the United States. The treaty bears not only the signatures and seals of General Wayne and the Indian chiefs but also includes the ratification of the United States Senate signed by President George Washington. Mrs. Elizabeth E. Hammer was the official custodian of the document. She accompanied the treaty on its journey from Washington D.C. to the headquarters of the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society in Columbus, then to the office of Governor Frank J. Lausche, and then to the Sesquicentennial Celebration at Greenville. In 1795, the Treaty of Greenville ended the Indian Wars in Ohio. The American Indian confederacy led by Blue Jacket was defeated by General Anthony Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers on August 20, 1794. Abandoned by the British at Fort Miami, the American Indians agreed to a peace settlement. A year later, representatives from twelve tribes met at Greenville, in present-day Darke County, to negotiate with Wayne. Among the leaders were Little Turtle of the Miamis, Tarhe of the Wyandots, and Blue Jacket and Black Hoof of the Shawnees. The treaty confined the American Indians to northwestern Ohio. Despite Wayne's hope that the treaty would hold "as long as the woods grow and waters run," American Indians were removed to the West by the mid-nineteenth century. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3213_3832005_001 Subjects
: Military Ohio; American Indians in Ohio; Ohio Government; Arts and Entertainment; Treaty of Greenville; Treaties; Celebrations; Soldiers; Guards; Anniversaries; Ohio Historical Society Places
: Greenville (Ohio); Darke County (Ohio)