: This image shows the dome of the Mississippi State Capitol in the distance. This is the third capitol building in Mississippi and was built on the site of the old state penitentiary. The $1,093,641 construction cost was paid by the Illinois Central Railroad's back taxes. As of 2009, it held the executive and legislative branches of the state government. In 1979, a 4-year, $19-million restoration began. It is in the Beaux-Arts style. The Art Deco building on the right is the Mississippi War Memorial Building, which was built in 1939 as a Works Progress Administration project. This is next to Mississippi's old capitol building.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AV101_B01F07_531 Subjects
: Capitols--Mississippi; War memorials--Mississippi; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Jackson (Mississippi); 501 N. West St.