Henry County Courthouse   Save
Henry County Courthouse
Description: The Henry County Courthouse was built in 1880-1882 by architect David Gibbs in the Second Empire style. In the 1990s it underwent an extensive $4 million restoration project. The courthouse sits on land that was once part of the "Black Swamp," a region in northwest Ohio that was once so wet that it was virtually inhabitable. Once pioneers settled the area and tilled the land in order to aerate the soil, the land became fertile and the population began to increase. This image shows the front facade of the building. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AV101_B01F03_211
Subjects: Courthouses--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places; mansard roofs; towers (building divisions); clock towers; Second Empire
Places: Napoleon (Ohio); Henry County (Ohio); 660 N. Perry