: This is a photo of a construction materials onsite at the Wheeling Steel Corporation in Steubenville, Ohio. The construction was being done by The Koppers Construction Company in 1926.
The Wheeling Steel Corporation, founded in 1920, was located at 227 South Third Street at Bates Street and was one of the largest plants of its kind in the Ohio Valley. Covering an area a mile long and a quarter of a mile wide, the plant produced raw steel, coils, bars and sheet pipe. Included in the equipment are private railroad tracks and locomotives, two blast furnaces with a daily capacity of 1, 600 tons, 11 open hearth mills, and a hot strip mill.
In December 1968, Pittsburgh Steel Company was merged into Wheeling Steel Corporation to form the Wheeling-Pitt. Esmark, Inc. engaged in a successful proxy takeover battle for Wheeling-Pitt in 2005 and formally took over the steelmaker in November 2007. In August 2008, Severstal acquired Esmark's Wheeling-Pitt steel holdings for $1.25 billion. The plant was closed, supposedly temporarily, on April 3, 2009. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B07F12_006_1 Subjects
: Industries--Ohio; Steel-works--Ohio--Pictorial works; Wheeling Steel Corporation; Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Corporation; Steubenville (Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Construction--1920-1930; Works Progress Administration of Ohio Places
: Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)