: Caption reads: "Scene along the canoe beach at Island Park, canoes and lockers, 1928."
Island Park opened on June 20, 1914, on the former location of White City Amusement Park in Dayton, Ohio. White City had been destroyed in the flood of 1913, and interest to rebuild it was sparked after the Dayton Canoe Club held its first regatta on July 13, 1913. The park became an ideal location for canoeing, boating, ice skating, concerts, dancing, and general recreation, and remained a point of recreational focus for decades.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F08_035 Subjects
: Geography and Natural Resources; Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Sports, Canoes, Boats; Rivers Places
: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)